The Facts About Transferring Your Domain Name
How to Transfer Your Domain Name
If you're happy with your domain name, but find your experience with your registrar less than ideal, it may be time to transfer your domain to a new registrar.
Here are some common reasons why you might want to switch registrars:
- Your current registrar does not provide all of the services and features you need, such as web hosting and email.
- Your registrar uses an old interface or does not have user-friendly tools that make domain management easy.
- You're dissatisfied with your current registrar's customer support.
- You've found a new registrar that offers a better renewal price.
- Your new registrar has better terms of service, such as policies about renewing domain names.
- You have several domains registered with multiple registrars and would like to move all of them to a single platform.
Once you've decided you want to transfer your domain name, the process is straightforward, but it involves multiple steps that must be followed in exactly that order.
1. Verify your contact information and remove any privacy services
Make sure your contact information is accurate and that you, as the authorized registrant permitted to transfer your domain, are able to receive email at the address you've listed. If you've turned on WHOIS privacy, turn it off. These actions will ensure that the crucial transfer confirmation email will reach you and allow you to continue the transfer process.
Note, however, that if you've had to update your contact information, you may have to wait 60 days before beginning the transfer. This 60-day “lock period" is a security measure done to prevent possible unauthorized transfers. If you can't wait 60 days, contact your current registrar to see if they offer an opt-out option for the 60-day rule.
2. Sign up for an account with your new registrar and confirm your intention to transfer your domain
Create an account on your new registrar's site. Once you've done so, you must also confirm your decision to transfer your domain by responding to and returning the standardized form for gaining registrars.
Your completion of this form will let your new (gaining) registrar know that you intend to continue the transfer process. The new registrar will then let the registry know they can make the transfer.
3. Disable your domain lock and obtain your Authorization Code
The domain lock is another safety feature designed to prevent unauthorized transfers. But in order to transfer registrars, you must remove the domain lock on your current platform. Then, look for an option that will allow you to receive an Authorization Code (also referred to as an AuthInfo Code, Auth-Info Code, or transfer code).
The Authorization Code is a unique code associated with your domain name. It will be sent to the registered email you've provided. Your new registrar will need your Authorization Code in order to continue the transfer.
4. Begin the transfer process with your new registrar
Log in to your new registrar and search for the section of the platform that allows you to transfer domains. Most likely it's on your new registrar's dashboard or management panel, or under a Domains header. Once you've located it, you'll be asked to confirm the domain name you want to transfer and provide the Authorization Code.
5. Verify and pay for the transfer
You should now have received an email asking you to confirm that you want to transfer your domain from your current registrar to your new one. Agree to the terms of the transfer and complete the payment process.
Keep in mind that every registrar has a different payment policy. Some might allow you to transfer the domain for free, but will then require you to pay for next year's renewal upfront.
Remember as well that your domain will be offline while the transfer is in process. If necessary for your business, contact your registrar to see if the transfer can be expedited.
It's very common to want to transfer registrars, and many small business owners will do so at one point. Transferring your domain name is a relatively simple and straightforward process. Just take care to follow these steps in the proper order.